The Thermospheric General Circulation Models (TGCM's)
December, 2006 "AGU Storm" Run:
High Resolution Image
November 19-24, 2003 Storm Case:
The High Altitude Observatory at the National Center for Atmospheric Research has developed a series of numeric simulation models of the Earth's upper atmosphere, including the upper Stratosphere, Mesosphere, and Thermosphere. The Thermospheric General Circulation Models (TGCM's) are three-dimensional, time-dependent models of the EARTH's neutral upper atmosphere. The models use a finite differencing technique to obtain a self-consistent solution for the coupled, nonlinear equations of hydrodynamics, thermodynamics, continuity of the neutral gas and for the coupling between the dynamics and the composition.
Recent models in the series include a self-consistent aeronomic scheme for the coupled Thermosphere/Ionosphere system, the Thermosphere Ionosphere Electrodynamic General Circulation Model (TIEGCM), and an extension of the lower boundary from 97 to 30 km, including the physical and chemical processes appropriate for the Mesosphere and upper Stratosphere, the Thermosphere Ionosphere Mesosphere Electrodynamic General Circulation Model (TIME-GCM). A global mean, or column model, has also been developed in parallel with the TGCM's. The global mean model is used as a time-dependent, one-dimensional platform from which new chemical, dynamic and numeric schemes are developed and tested before being introduced into the 3-d GCM's.
- /ptmp on bluefire is going away September, 2012 - please use the /glade disk system
- January 6, 2012: Release of TIEGCM Version 1.94.2 Release Notes, Download, UserGuide
- July 28, 2011: Release of TIEGCM Version 1.94.1 Release Notes, Download, UserGuide
- June 3, 2011: Release of TIEGCM Version 1.94 Release Documentation and Benchmark Runs
The tiegcm1.94 model is available on the TGCM download page (email registration required).
- December 20, 2010: Updated the IDL processor to tgcmproc3.3_idl on the TGCM download page
- August 6, 2010: TIEGCM1.93 Comparisons with Empirical Models MSIS, HWM, and IRI
- July 21, 2010: TIEGCM Version 1.93 Simulations: Plots and Archives
- June 3, 2010: Release of TIEGCM Version 1.93 Release Notes
The tiegcm1.93 model is available on the TGCM download page (email registration required).
- The Community Coordinated Modeling Center (CCMC) is now accepting Runs-On-Request for TIEGCM
- February 23, 2009: Release of TIEGCM version 1.92
Release notes, model source code, post-processors and documentation are available for download (email registration required).
- User's Guide (updated June, 2011): [html] [pdf]
- TIEGCM Model Description [pdf]
- Cheat-Sheet for HSI interface to the NCAR HPSS [html]
- CISL Frequently Used Commands within HSI session [pdf]
- CISL HPSS usage page [html]
- TIEGCM Code Structure Flowchart (Documentation section of the Download page): [15-page pdf]
- TIEGCM Code Structure Flowchart (Documentation section of the Download page): [single-page pdf]